ABC's Cats Indoors program supports simple solutions to keep pet cats and wild birds safe. Check out catio designs and other solutions below to see which is the best fit for you and your cat!
CATIO OPTIONS AND OTHER OUTDOOR ENCLOSURES
Want the best of outdoor access while keeping your cat safe at home? Outdoor enclosures – like a catio – can give your cat the chance to move around freely outside within a sheltered and safe space. Whether you and your cat prefer a perch, a patio, or the entire backyard, enclosures can be modified to suit all situations.
Many strategies exist to safely enjoy the outdoors with your cat, including comfortable restraints that keep you and your pet connected. These options are an excellent choice for joint adventures around town or exploring the neighborhood.
A fun and stimulating environment is critical for your cat's mental and physical health. Consider the options below to brighten your cat's day, engage its senses, and give it some exercise.
The best way to protect cats and birds is to keep cats safely contained. However, if you are in the process of transitioning your outdoor cat to an indoor cat or just want to add an extra layer of wildlife protection while your cat is in the backyard enclosure, several devices can help reduce (but not eliminate) cat predation. Review the latest science here.
- VISUAL ALERTS: Visual cues can alert wildlife to the presence of a cat and prevent harmful interactions. To learn more, visit: Birdsbesafe®.
- MECHANICAL OBSTRUCTIONS: Devices that obstruct a cat's ability to stalk, pounce, or grab prey may reduce impacts on birds and other wildlife. To learn more, visit: CatBib.
- AUDIO ALERTS: Noise-emitting devices worn by your cat may reduce the opportunity for direct harm to wildlife.
CATS INDOORS PLEDGE
Owned, free-roaming cats kill over 700 million birds in the U.S. each year. You can help reduce that number by keeping your pet cat safely indoors, on a leash, or within an outdoor enclosure. Get started by taking ABC's Cat's Indoors Pledge today.
Containing cats is an easy way to provide cats with healthy, safe lives while reducing needless bird and other wildlife deaths. If you've already taken our Cats Indoor Pledge, here are five more ways you can help:
- Learn more about ABC's Cats Indoors program and the work we do to protect cats and birds.
- Keep up to date on our efforts by signing up for our Cats Indoors eNewsletter.
- Contact your local elected officials to support responsible pet ownership.
- Download or purchase bulk quantities of our Solutions for Pet Cats handout.
- Use the social buttons below to share the word with family and friends.
Photo credits, top to bottom: Sacred Wings/Flickr; PERO studio,Shutterstock; Elya Vatel, Shutterstock; Birdsbesafe.